Friday, April 8, 2011

Tortilla Soup Taco's


Sorry I have been a bad blogger Mom, I just have too much going on!

Since my last blog, I have been all over the place including to Las Vegas for a trade show. We went with our friends Dave and Amy Bain, and Richard and Lori Tolbert. They are always a blast to travel with. We laugh our guts out!

When we got to Vegas on Sunday night, Lori, who is a caterer, pulled out a whole spread of stuff so we could have an "Academy Awards Party." Pulled pork sandwiches, spinach and greens salad with apples and the best brownies and lemon bars I have ever had in my life! I tried to get the recipe but I was told they are "TOP SECRET". I will get the recipe one of these days!

Because Lori is a caterer, she is a major food connoisseur and we eat at the most amazing places. She took us to the Olives restaurant on the patio that over looks the fountains at the Bellagio one night. It was sooo.... good. If you go, order the fiery chicken sausage flat bread - it's like a pizza and the madiera chicken.

Last weekend we trekked up to the cabin so the boys could snowmobile and so we could watch conference. It was one of the best conference sessions I have ever watched. If you missed it, go to www.lds.org and the link is on the first page. If you don't want to read all of the talks, here are a few of my favorites you might want to take a peek at. On Saturday, Elder Ewrings talk about serving others really touched my heart. After going to Africa last summer and seeing first hand those who really are in need, this is a special topic to me.

On Sunday, I loved David A. Bednar's talk about the "Spirit of Revelation." and Lynn G. Robbins talk about "What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye To Be?" But my favorite was Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk titled, "Waiting on the Road to Damascuas." He said, "... those who diligently seek to learn of Christ eventually come to know him."
That has been my goal this year. To come to know my Savior better. It was like a power of shot in the arm to watch conference this year and I loved it!

Alex went down by Green River to White Wash to ride motorcycles with his friends instead of going to the cabin with us. He and three friends slept in a big enclosed trailer and did the camping thing. It got so windy late Saturday night, they decided to go into Green River to get a room, but all the rooms were filled with truckers who were afraid to drive on in the high winds. So the boys ended up leaving at 3:00 AM and drove all night to get home. It was funny to hear their story and they were dead tired the next day.

Brayden and Ken each took a friend to the cabin and they got Ken out riding snowmobiles all day Saturday. He actually loved it! Bray and his friend built a big jump and we had a great time watching them fly over the top of it. Ken even decided to try it.... once. He came down and smacked both of his knees and that was the end of the jumping but I was so proud that he tried it!

While we were at the cabin, I made tortilla soup and Darren's Dad dropped in with a friend so I was afraid I wouldn't have enough for everyone to eat. So I pulled out the tortillas and served the soup, or tacos using the meat, corn, tomatoes etc. from the soup to make it go a little farther. Everyone raved about the tacos so we now have a new family favorite!

Tortilla Soup - Taco's

In a crock pot, cook a beef roast over night. In the morning add a can of corn, (undrained), a can of chopped tomatoes, a cup of salsa, half of a package of tortilla soup mix and simmer for several hours. Use a slotted spoon to dish the meat and other fillers into a tortilla. My family loved to spoon a little of the soup "juice" over the tortilla.

To serve the soup, crumble some tortilla chips into a bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese then spoon the soup over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment