Monday, August 30, 2010

Peaches & Pits


Every night we were in Africa, our group would get together and talk about our "peaches and pits" of the day. On the last night, one of the people in our group told us to all go home and "really process" what had happened during our trip and we would realize some amazing things. I have been so busy since coming home that I haven't really thought about it until I sat down and looked at all of the pictures that one of the amazing ladies in our group, Ingrid Van Leeuwen, collected from everyone and compiled onto eight disks. As I looked back through the pictures to print off what Brayden will need to get his Eagle Scout project accepted, I have been overwhelmed with a feeling of love for the African people - especially the children. Just seeing their faces again makes me want to go back and do something to help them. When I think of their smiling faces waving and yelling, "Jambo" as we drove past in our safari vans, my heart swells and I am filled with love for them.

Jamie, the group leader, and Ingrid, asked everyone in the group to send them our favorite "peaches" from the trip. I had so many it was hard to narrow them down into just a few, but if you go to this link, Ingrid posted my thoughts along with some pictures: http://koins4kenya.blogspot.com and look under: Sherries 2010 kenya reflections.

Speaking of peaches and pits, Darren's Grandma Lucy used to make the best peach pit jam. When I first heard the name I was a little skeptical to try it, but it is now one of my favorite recipes!

Peach Pit Jam

Use the pits only from a bushel of peaches. Cover them with water in a pan and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the water is a dark color. Drain through a cheese clothe then add 1/4C. lemon juice, 1 pkg. pectin and 5C. sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil - stirring constantly for about 4 minutes (or longer if it doesn't seem thick and slide off of the spoon in sheets.) Remove from the heat and skim off any foam. Fill hot jars immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment