Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Big Shots


I counted the days I have been home since school started and was amazed that out of the past twenty five days, I have only been home six days! What a whirlwind, but then summer always is! I feel like I come home, unpack, do the laundry and then pack it all up again to leave.

Monday night, we drove to Park City and stayed at the cabin so we could get up early and be in Salt Lake yesterday. As usual, it was a day filled with running the necessary errands: Costco, the spa where I keep my purses and trying to see the loved ones I miss so much. One of the big reasons I had to go to Salt Lake was so Brayden and I could get our required shots to go to Kenya. I put it off as long as I could and with only a month until we leave, we were running out of time!

There are six things required to go to Africa: Tetnus, Typhoid, Measles, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A & B and Polio. Brayden lucked out and only had to have one shot, while I got three! (He thought that was hilarious.) Luckily the typhoid we can take orally or I would have really been hating life!

I really don't like shots, but then who does? When I signed up to go to Africa, I had no idea I was going to have to pay for $500 worth of shots or I might have changed my mind! I keep telling myself that it will be worth it so I can help the people who live in the Koins area have a better life. Kennedy held my hand while the nice nurse stabbed me and I just closed my eyes and thought of my happy place - laying on a beach in the warm sun listening to the waves crash.

While I was in Salt Lake I got to eat lunch with my wonderful Mom and she gave me this recipe for Poppy Seed Dressing - yum! Getting to see her is like getting a shot of love, knowing someone in this world loves me no matter what!

Poppy Seed Dressing

Put the following ingredients into a blender:
2/3C. vinegar, 1 1/4C. sugar, 1C. oil(olive or canola), 2T. salt, 2T. mustard, 1 green onion chopped and 1T. poppy seeds. Blend well and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment