Monday, June 21, 2010

Going Batty!




Dar and I went to Powell on Tuesday night to celebrate our anniversary and then his mom and the kids came on Thursday night along with his cousin Greg and his family. Greg lives in Houston and it has been eight or nine years since we have seen him. It was a busy weekend, but fun. I think I need a vacation from my vacation though!

One of the nights we were down there, we started talking about the bats that fly around all over the place at night. I was telling Greg about the night my family was staying on Darren's Dad's houseboat eighteen years ago and a bat flew inside the houseboat and caused all kinds of havoc. Darren commented on how he liked the bats because without them, the bugs would be horrible.

That night, I got up to go to the bathroom and thought I saw something, but I figured it was just because we had been talking about bats so I climbed into bed. A few minutes later I saw and felt something flying towards my hair. I yelled, "There's a bat!" Darren sat up and turned the light on but didn't see anything. He told me it was just the wind from the window above my head and I was freaking myself out. When I heard something a few minutes later,I made him get up to check. So with his flashlight he looked around and sure enough he saw a bat! See it wasn't my imagination! So he army crawled to the front of the boat with his flashlight so he could open the front door to send it out. To his surprise, there wasn't just one bat, but there were THREE inside the houseboat. He said one was even hanging from the ceiling glaring at him with it's little beady eyes! He wanted me to come and help him get them out. NOT ON YOUR LIFE! Instead, I just covered my head with a pillow and waited for the bat party to end. I get the chills just thinking about it!

Greg's wife, Susie, turned 50 while we were down there and so we had a party complete with chocolate cake and helium balloons. Darren's mom brought the balloons in the car loaded with five kids and across the lake to Warm Creek in a ski boat without an enclosed cabin to put them in. I'm sure anyone who saw us leaving the dock with the balloons was thinking we were crazy for trying! Only half of the balloons actually made it to the houseboat, but it's the thought that counts!

I made my dill dip for Susie on her birthday and she insisted that I post it so she could have the recipe. I think I have already posted it once, but I will do it again for Susie's sake!

Dill Dip

Combine equal amounts of sour cream and mayonnaise. Add a bunch of dill weed and Bon Appetite seasoning along with a little onion salt.

This is great as a dip for veggies, chips, bread or on a steak, baked potato or chicken.

When we got home last night we celebrated Father's day and had steaks and these yummy potatoes that I just threw together.

Father's Day Potatoes

Slice six potatoes thinly and lay in a casserole dish. Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour over the top of them. Add some Jamaican Me Crazy Seasoning and a bunch of shredded cheese. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes then put them under the broiler for about 5 minutes. These taste great with the dill dip too!

No comments:

Post a Comment