Thursday, June 24, 2010

You Have To Have Bad To Appreciate The Good


When I looked out the window this morning there are bales and bales of round hay out in my field from the first cutting. The guy who maintains our fields stayed up all night bailing. It sure is a pretty sight! Plus, it means the sprinklers will be back on soon so I can hear their mesmerizing click.

When I was helping to move one the wheel lines so the hay could be cut, we were walking through alfalfa that was as high as my waist. That's when I noticed a wonderful treat, lady bugs everywhere! The cute little ladies love to eat the aphids in the fields. It is said that if a lady bug lands on you, you can make a wish and it will come true. I kept trying to coax one to land on me so I could get a wish, but it didn't happen.

I also found another critter in the fields - mosquito's! Lot's and lot's of them! Okay, I know you have to have the bad so you can appreciate the good, but what good are mosquito's really? Other than they feed the birds that have perched in my eaves and are pooping everywhere or the bats that like to terrorize me at Lake Powell. I struggling to see how these pesky critters are good! Last night for mutual, we went to a field to play kick ball and by the end of the night, everyone was covered with scratchy bumps! It was hilarious to see everyone swatting and hitting themselves.

This morning about 1:15AM we got a call from Darren's Dad telling us that his brother had to be rushed to the hospital after he vomited and then aspirated after going through a drug rehab center in Michigan. This is another one of the, "you have to experience the bad to know the good situations." We just pray he will be okay.

Todd is a unique guy. He loves to be alone, and has two wolves in his back yard. But he has a heart of gold and would do anything to help anyone.

A couple of years ago he came to my house and I had made some of his Mom's hardtack candy - which he loves. He asked me how to make it, so I gave him a large gallon size Karo syrup and the other ingredients along with the recipe so he could go home and make it. That was when we lived in Salt Lake, by the time he drove three hours to Vernal, he had drank almost the whole gallon of Karo syrup. Wow! Now that's a sugar rush!

Here is the recipe for that Hardtack Candy which my family loves.

Combine 1/3C. sugar and 2C. corn syrup in a pan and bring to the hard crack stage
(300*). Then stir in a few drops of food coloring and some flavoring oil to it. Immediately pour onto a greased cookie sheet and mark with a sharp knife into squares as it cools.
My family loves the red cinnamon candy the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment