Saturday, July 10, 2010

Have a Coke and a smile


Yesterday as I was putting the first of three coats of varnish on my garage doors, it hit me that I had a lot of packing to do. Even though Africa is still twelve days away, I will be gone six of those days. So that means fifteen days worth of clothing has to be cleaned and packed along with all the other required supplies: work gloves, safety glasses, extra camera batteries, games to play with the African children, snacks and of course the miniature bottles of coke. (I admit I have a problem with drinking Coke - and I don't want to chance not being able to find any in Kenya!) So while I was shopping for all of these necessities, I ran into my friend Rae Lynn and she asked Ken if we were shopping for his scout trip next week. I had completely forgotten about it - and to top it off, she said all of his stuff needed to be at his leaders house today so they could take it up the mountain tomorrow. Then I really started to panic when Brayden told her we were going to go to Lake Powell before we left for Africa. AGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I spent most of yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning packing and I feel much better about everything, but for a minute I doubted if I was going to be able to get it all done - but most importantly, there was room for the ten bottles of Coke!

One of my friends in Salt Lake, Lynette Lapoint, told me about this recipe which I love because it involves Coke!

Lynette's Barbecue Ribs

Saute one chopped onion & 2 garlic cloves - chopped in 2T. butter. Add 2C. ketchup,
one can of Coke, 1T. Worcestershire sauce, 1t. mustard, 2t. vinegar, 1t. liquid smoke and 1T. brown sugar. Simmer for one hour then put into a crock pot with ribs and simmer over night.

I found two other recipes that involve Coke that I can't wait to try as well:

Coke Frosting
Combine 1/3C. butter, 1/2C. Coke, 1/3C. Cocoa and enough powdered sugar to make desired consistency. Spread over your favorite kind of cake.

Black Cherry Jello
Pour 2C. hot water over two small packages of cherry jello and stir - then add 2C. Coke. Chill overnight and serve with cream cheese frosting and a cherry on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment