Friday, February 26, 2010

17 and Counting!


Today is my oldest son's 17th birthday. I still remember the day he was born like it was yesterday. He truly was the most perfect baby in the whole world, (except, he reminded me, when he was volcano baby because he was allergic to his formula.) He is such a great kid and I am so proud of the amazing young man he has become!
Last night I had to go to a meeting in Roosevelt with a few of my friends so we decided to go a little early and eat dinner. The restaurant my friend Ashley took us to was called, the Round Robin. We waited for 45 minutes to get our meals because they were so busy, but it was worth it! Their sugar cookies are to die for! Before I left, I had to make dinner for some neighbors who are struggling with a family crisis as well as my family and a guy named Mark that my husband invited up for dinner. Mark is blind and has worked for us on and off over the past few years. We can all learn a thing or two from this amazing young man. He can clean gutters, weed and throw hay bales better than anyone else I know. Mark doesn't let his challenge keep him from doing anything. He is all over town and he told me a couple of weeks ago, he walked 20 miles one day. WOW! Next week he is excited to get trained for his new seeing eye dog. I can't wait to meet her! Anyway, I made the linguine from my blog on February 12th - (which I loved!) and calzones, with chocolate cream pie for dessert.
Calzones
Unroll a package of the pre-made pizza dough from the refrigerator section. Use a knife and cut it into two sections. Spoon some pre-made pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce on one half of the dough. Put your favorite toppings on the sauce and then fold over the half that is still plain. Pinch the sides and then cover with mozzarella cheese. Bake for about 35 min. or until the crust is light brown at 350*.

I wanted to make the calzone dough from scratch because the pre-made dough is full of preservatives, which my two youngest boys are allergic to, but I had to work and didn't have time so I had to improvise. Here is the recipe for the homemade dough I want to make next time.
Calzone Dough
Place 1 1/4C. water, 1t. salt, 3C. bread flour, 1tsp. dry milk powder and 2tsp. active dry yeast in the pan of a bread machine. Select the dough cycle. After the cycle ends, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and shape into a 16x10 in. rectangle. Move this to a lightly greased cookie sheet. Put your favorite toppings on this and brush the top with melted butter then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350* for 35 -45 min.

Chocolate Dream Pie
Combine one small pkg. of chocolate pudding with 1C. milk, and 1C. cool whip beat with a hand mixer until well combined. Pour into a pre-made chocolate pie crust and then top with cool whip. Let set up for 30 min. in the fridge and then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment