Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's Cookin'?


It was -6 below zero this morning as I was trying to unthaw the water spiket with a welder so I could give seven thirsty horses a drink. Even though I was wearing my thermal underware, a heavy coat, hat and gloves, the cold was still going right through me!
Once the pipe began to unthaw, I quickly realized the hose wasn't attached right because the water started spraying me in the face. With the cold temperature, the water immediately turned to ice. I tried to pull my turtle neck up over my face to wipe the water off but it had gotten wet and was frozen as well. Ahhh.... life in the freezer section of Utah! Our temperature didn't get above 18 degree's today, even with the sun shining!

I spent most of the day helping my son, who was home sick, write a ten page report on the Anasazi Indians. I was tired and still cold from my experience earlier in the day, so I something warm and easy was what we should have for
dinner. What could be warmer and easier than soup?
My motto has always been, "If it ain't easy, I won't make it!"

Chicken and Rice soup ~ I made this recipe up after eatting some yummy chicken and rice soup at a dive called, The Soup Kitchen. I would meet my husband and one of his friends there for lunch when we lived in Salt Lake and this soup, along with the chicken noodle was my favorite!

In a 5 Quart pot boil 4 chicken breasts in 6 C. of water. Remove the chicken and shred it then add it back into the boiling chicken broth. Add 2 C. white rice, 1 C. sliced carrots and 1 C. sliced celery. Add 2 chicken bullion cubes, 2t. onion salt, then salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the veggies are soft.

Fast, cheap and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment