Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Saddle Sores


We had a wonderful weekend of riding horses, watching movies with the boys and laughing with our friends. I'm always sad when Labor Day is over because that signals fall to start. Yesterday morning when we woke up, there was a layer of ice on the horses water buckets and we noticed a few leaves were starting to change colors as we drove home. My boys were all excited because that means the snowmobiling season is closer - but I'm just not ready yet!

We love to see our friends the Johnson's. They always make me feel better when something happens to me because they have an even better story! On Saturday, I was riding our thirty year old horse, Bear, and she slipped while we were trotting along and fell, smashing my leg against the metal ring that hooks the stirrups onto the saddle. Thank goodness all I got was a bad bruise! We started laughing about the time Rick got bucked off in a mud puddle and I felt much better!

We rode for hours every day enjoying the beautiful mountains above Park City, we were so busy catching up with Rick and Lori, we didn't even notice the saddle sores until the next day! While we were chatting, Lori told me about a yummy recipe for this zucchini soup she got from her mom, Leona. I still have quite a bit of zucchini to use up so I was thrilled to have a new recipe to try with it.

Leona's Zucchini Soup

In a saucepan, cut up 5-6 medium zucchini's into large cubes (leave the skin and seeds on). Add two cups of water and boil until soft (about 15 minutes). While that is boiling, saute 2 chopped up onions. Then put the onions and zucchini into the blender and blend until smooth. Put it back into the saucepan and add 2t. lemon pepper, 3T. chicken bullion, 1t. cumin, 1 quart half and half - do not boil. Add
1t. season salt, 1/2t. pepper and 1/2t. salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment