Thursday, April 29, 2010

Death By Chocolate


I know I should be grateful and not complain because we need the moisture, but I am so done with the snow and cold weather! We woke up to an inch of the white stuff! The frogs quit croaking, the birds quit singing and the bee's quit buzzing because none of them are happy about it either.

I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but lately I keep thinking about the best chocolate dessert I have ever had and I have been craving it like crazy. Last December, we took our boys on a Carnival Cruise with three other families in our neighborhood and they served a dessert called, warm chocolate melting cake. I am sure it could kill a person because it is so rich, but if I am going to die, maybe this would be a good way to go! When I looked on line, I found a couple of versions of this and I can't wait to try it - maybe that will bring a little sunshine and warmness into the day!

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

Generously butter 6 custard cups and dust the insides with sugar then place them on a baking sheet.

In a heavy sauce pan, melt 3/4C. unsalted butter and 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Mix 3 large egg yolks and 3 eggs, 1t. vanilla and 5T. sugar until thick, pale and fluffy, about 8 minutes. Then fold 1/3 of the chocolate mixture into this. Fold the remaining chocolate mixture and 1T. flour into this until well blended. Divide the batter between the molds - filling about 3/4 full. One recipe suggested putting these into the refrigerator for 8 hours or over night before baking them - I am going to try it without doing this.

Bake for 8 to 12 minutes at 425* with the rack in the center of the oven. The edges of the cakes will be set but the middle will still look a little wet. You may have cracks on the top surface of the cakes.

Immediately remove from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top of each cake.

2 comments:

  1. You must be living right over there, we had 4 inches on our lawn. What a nightmare to wake up to. I always worry about the flowers having that much dumped on them. Most of them surprise me how tough they are. They actually look happy now. That chocolate cake was my favorite on the cruise. I would definitely die for that one. I have some custard cups I've never used--so I guess it's time to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sick so Dar let me sleep in and he said some of it must have melted by the time I woke up at 11:00 AM. I was concerned about my plants as well, but the only ones that look like they are struggling are the starts from Tresa's house. Let me know how this turns out if you try it!

    ReplyDelete