Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How Not To Catch A Train




My Aunt Dixie was one of my hero's. She grew up on the Alamo Ranch, which was the home to the Wetherill brothers, who discovered Mesa Verde in southwest Colorado. That is where she learned to love horses and ranching. She had all kinds of wonderful stories about her childhood.

Once she and one of her friends decided to get on her horse and try to jump on a train like the robbers did in movies. They were running along side the train and just about to jump on when the train whistle blew scaring the horse so it reared and they both fell off.

She had a ranch in between Big Water and Kanab, Utah. Arizona Highways magazine did an article on her. Everyone was amazed because she would stay out there all alone and herd her cows. She was a true frontier woman because the little cabin didn't have any electricity or running water. One night she got up in the middle of the night to go to the out house and she stepped on a rattle snake that was curled up on her porch. Ouch!

Dixie wrote and published a book called Trekking Home before she died. It was fun to read because it incorporated a lot of things from her life. It also inspired me to write my book, "The Power Of A Penny."

Last night for dinner, I made Aunt Dixie's Queso Taco sauce - but I added a twist - a can of chili. My family devoured it!

Aunt Dixie's Queso Taco Sauce

Melt a small block of Velveeta cheese in a pan over medium heat then add one can of cream of chicken soup. I have added 1/2C. of salsa and a little sour cream to it before, but last night I added a can of chili - then spoon it over the top of a taco filled with meat.
This makes a great dip for tortilla chips as well.

I picture her on her favorite horse riding around the pastures of heaven with a big smile on her face!

No comments:

Post a Comment