Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dust in the Wind



"Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wiinnnd...." That's how I feel today. The vet came to stitch up poor Sancho's nose and we ended up going into the barn to do the procedure because we could hardly stand in one place. I'm so thankful we have it!

Sancho is such a good horse! The vet stuck his finger through the wound and his fingers came out through his mouth to show me how bad it was. All the while, Sancho just stood there and looked at us. He ended up having ten stitches and was very brave the whole time.

Last night before we went to work with the horse trainer, I decided to hurry and make some lasagna so my kids could eat while I was gone. After I cooked the noodles, I realized I didn't have enough for the top and the bottom of the lasagna. So I just used them on the bottom, and then made a batch of homemade mac & cheese for the top. My boys absolutely loved it!

Homemade Mac & Cheese Lasagna

Cook 5 lasagna noodles according to the directions and put them on the bottom of a casserole dish. Cook up a pound and a half of hamburger and add a jar of spaghetti sauce. Cook a package of ditalini pasta according to the directions and then put it back into a sauce pan after draining off the water. Add 4T. melted butter, 3c. sharp cheddar cheese, 3T. Parmesan cheese, 1 1/2c. half and half, 1 1/2c. whipping cream, 1t. dry mustard, 1/8 t. nutmeg, 2T. flour, some salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted and it is well blended.

Put this on top of the meat and then sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes at 350*.

When we came home from the horse trainer, Carrie Caldwell brought over two plates of yummy treats. On Saturday, she came over and got a bunch of rhubarb off of my huge plants that one of my workers planted in front of the barn several years ago. I have never liked rhubarb, and I'm not quite sure why Mike planted them for me in the first place, but I am sooo..... glad he did because I love Carrie's rhubarb pie! I hope she comes over and takes all of it so we can have more! (I won't even attempt to make a pie crust - that would totally destroy my confidence in cooking.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Mike planted it too. I love to have Rhubarb Pie at least once a year. The Rhubarb crumble disappointed me though. My Grandma used to make the best crumble. I think she gave me the wrong recipe or something. That's the second time I've tried it. Sorry about that one. You guys are always so gracious though--thanks for being the testers.

    ReplyDelete