Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Pioneer Pancakes


The Green Chili Soup wasn't as good as I had remembered. I wonder if the Green's didn't give Deidre the secret ingredient! Next time I would add 1t. salt, some flour to thicken it up a bit and maybe some bacon grease to add a little more flavor.


I am up to my eye balls trying to plan a youth conference for the kids in my ward. The big event is supposed to happen on the 23rd and 24th. It will take a miracle to pull it off! We are doing a pioneer themed conference and they are all coming to the barn to play games to earn stuff for a trek, then we will have a square dance and they will sleep in tents inside the barn. On Saturday after a pancake breakfast, we will do a service project (the young men are in charge of this - so I don't know for sure what it is,) then hike through the hills near my home. Along the way they will get injured, some will die and be born into other families and we might even see some Indians. The trek will end at a spot where we will eat dinner and have a fireside.

I must be hungry because the pancakes are sounding soooo.... good at this moment!
I have the best buttermilk pancake recipe from one of my favorite friends, Lynette. This recipe makes a big batch, but they are so good everyone always eats every last one of the pancakes!

Lyn's Buttermilk Pancakes

Combine 5 eggs, 5C. flour, 4t. baking powder, 2t. baking soda, 2t. salt, 1/2C. sugar, 1 Qt. buttermilk, 1C. plus 1T. melted butter. Mix until just blended - it may have lumps.

These taste great with one of my other favorite people, Carrie Caldwell's, buttermilk syrup.

Carrie's Buttermilk Syrup

Boil 1/2C. buttermilk, 1 cube butter and 1C. sugar for 3 minutes. Take off the heat and add 1t. vanilla and 1/2t. baking soda. (If you don't have any buttermilk, use 1/2C. milk mixed with 1/2T. vinegar.

Ohhhh!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about these yummy treats!

4 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with your post, but I remember you commenting that one of you sons is allergic to quite a few things. Kevin is the same. It is ridiculous what he is allergic to. However my mom found this lady who does the NAET treatment. It's a holistic way of healing and balancing your body. It's sounds super crazy and weird, but Kevin is so tired of hurting, so we gave it a try. She is treating his allergies and pretty much clearing him of his allergies. Kevin has never felt so good. He still has more allergies to treat but... it's working. If you are interested in it at all let me know and I will give you her number. She is also an OB nurse here at the hospital, so she isn't "crazy". But look into it you'll find it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly was craving pancakes tonight. So we decided to try the buttermilk pancakes. After making Aunt Lorna's recipe for 17 years---we have a new favorite. These were so good. I love the texture, and the kind of remind me of sourdough pancakes (maybe the buttermilk). Thanks for sharing.....By the way--Do you think 3 minutes is too long on cooking the syrup? I cooked it tonight, and had to thin it a little with milk. Maybe 2 minutes would work better, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion on the syrup! I tried it this morning and it did work out better. I'm glad you like the pancake recipe! I hope Aunt Lorna doesn't feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Melanie, I will look into it!

    ReplyDelete