Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Add A Little Vinegar


The last couple of days have been a little stressful because I have been trying to help plan girls camp this week. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about how things should be done and the decisions all end up back to me somehow. I told one of my friends yesterday that it's good that everyone has different views because they add a different taste to the recipe. Her reply was, "I must be the vinegar." (Which I don't agree with!) But even vinegar can give certain recipes the finishing touch!

Like in this recipe for a Volcano Salad. I first tasted this salad when we stayed at the Grand Wailea hotel on Maui several years ago. Not only were the pools amazing, they had the best salad at the snack bar by the pools called a Volcano Salad and the vinegar was what made the whole recipe! I can't find the recipe on line but if I remember right this is what it was:

Volcano Salad

Fry some wontons squares, then let them drain and cool on paper towels while you make the following: Combine some vegetable oil, vinegar, carrot slivers, black beans (drained)and corn(drained), shredded lettuce (coleslaw lettuce works great), salt and pepper. Then serve this on top of the wontons.

When we got home from that trip we were craving that yummy treat and we kind of experimented with the amounts of oil and vinegar according to taste. Just talking about this salad makes me want to go back to Maui and float on the lazy river with a fruity drink with an umbrella in it! Between the weather and the hard things in life lately, I need a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment