Thursday, May 27, 2010

For Once Happy To See The Police


My husband and I drove out to Salt Lake together yesterday because we both had a couple of appointments we needed to go to. After our last trip together, I was a little leery of riding with him.

We are both so busy that when we do have a chance to be alone together, we have alot to talk about. We were excitedly talking about how we could make my trip to Africa happen that neither of us noticed that we were getting low on gas until the warning bell starting dinging. I asked him if he knew we were low on gas. His reply was, "It's your car." "Yes," I said, "but you're driving!" "It's okay," my husband assured me, "we can make it to Currant Creek to get some gas." Now Current Creek is a little spot between Daniels Summit and Fruitland that you will miss if you blink while you are driving along Highway 40. When we pulled into the only little gas station in Fruitland, we were both speechless as we saw the plastic bags taped over the gas pump handles. They no longer sell gas there. We stopped and said a little prayer and started on our way again.

Sure enough, about ten miles before Daniels Summit we ran out of gas. We pushed the On Star button and the helpful person told us to sit and wait and someone would bring us some gas for $5.00 a gallon hopefully within an hour. My sister happened to call and I was laughing hysterically. When I told her what happened she said, "And you are laughing about this?" What else can you do but laugh?

Dar got out of the car and just then a Highway Patrol man pulled over. I haven't been too happy about the police this week because my seventeen year old got pulled over and was issued a ticket for driving with a transporter plate while he was transporting a car from the office back to the house. But that's another story. So for once I was soooo... happy to see Mr. Highway Patrol man. Dar hopped into his car and they sped off with the lights flashing. Now that is service! I definitely got my taxes worth that day! They borrowed a gas can from the store at Daniels Summit and paid something ridiculous like $20 a gallon for five gallons and rushed back with the lights still flashing.(Evidently the police man was going to a funeral and since he was in a hurry, that justified using the lights.)

The even funnier thing was, this police man remembered my husband from a few years ago when he lost a wheel off of his goose neck trailer that was loaded with rock crawlers going to Moab which flew off and hit and totaled a Parks and Recreation boat. OOOPPPS! But he was very nice and it really couldn't have worked out any better.

So we were on our way talking and not paying attention to much else. As we drove through Heber, we were both on our phones and didn't remember to stop and fill up with gas. As we were going down Parley's Summit, again the gas warning bell dinged.
"You've got to be kidding me!" I said. My husbands response was, "Why didn't you remind me to stop in Heber?" We coasted into Salt Lake on fumes and made it to the gas station just in time.

From now on whenever I get in the car to go somewhere with him, I always check the gas gauge!

I got to spend a few minutes with my Mom. She is always so happy to get even a few minutes with me and I love to see her.

This is her recipe for Poppy Seed Bread.

Blend 3C. flour, 2 3/4C. sugar, 1 1/2t. baking powder, 1 1/2t. salt, 3 eggs, 1 1/2C. milk, 1 1/2C. oil, 3t. poppy seeds, 1T. vanilla, 1T. almond flavoring and 1T. butter flavoring in a large bowl. Beat for 2 minutes then put into two greased loaf pans.
Bake for 1 hour at 350*.

While it is baking, blend 1/4C. thawed orange juice concentrate, 3/4C. sugar, 1/2t. vanilla, 1/2t. almond flavoring and 1/2t. butter in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil; then simmer for 5 minutes.

After the bread cools for about ten minutes, turn out of the pans and set on a wire rack with waxed paper underneath. Brush with the glaze.

2 comments: