Thursday, May 20, 2010

Never Try To Kiss A Porcupine



Yeah! Renegade is home! She has been at the trainers for a month getting a "tune up." When we brought her home, Dar was turning the truck around with the big goose neck trailer and he turned too sharp so the corner of the trailer hit the back window of the truck and broke it. I thought someone was shooting at us! All I can say is I am sooooo..... glad it wasn't me that did it. Every time I go to take the trailer anywhere, I get THE lecture about watching the trailer when I turn or go over a dip etc. so I won't hit the truck window.

Renegade always makes me laugh. One time when my twin sister came out to see me, we went out to the pasture to see Renny when she a year and a half old. I couldn't believe what I saw as we got closer to her. She had porcupine quills stuck all over her nose. OUCH! Being the friendly girl that she is, she must have tried to kiss the porcupine. I was in a pickle because Dar was gone on one of his adventures with the truck so I couldn't take her to the vet. When I called to see if any of the local vets could come up to help me, none of them were around because they were all out inoculating cows. I ran up to Doctor Woodward's house and asked if he could help me. He said it would be easy, we could just get a tranquilizer shot from the vet clinic and then he could just pull the quills out. HAH! Since Renny didn't have a halter on, we couldn't get her to stand still to give her a shot. After trying to give her three different shots, we finally had to just wait for the vet to come help us. Hopefully Renny learned her lesson because Dar goes on a lot of adventures and I don't want to have to deal with that again!

It was quite the bonding experience for me and Doctor Woodward - that was really the first time I had met him. Now I am really good friends with his wife. She gave me this recipe for Hawaiian Haystacks because my kids love to eat them at school. Plus it reminds me of our trip to Kaui that we went on.

Hawaiian Haystacks

Combine 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, 2 cans chicken broth and 2C. cooked cubed chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve this gravy over white rice with whatever your favorite toppings are:
chow mein noodles
chopped green onions
chopped tomatoes
chopped celery
crushed pineapple
shredded cheddar cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment