Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Spoke Too Soon


Ten minutes after I posted my last blog, I had to chase down my cows. Guess I spoke too soon! I looked out my back window and thought, "Someone's cows are in the alfalfa field." Then I realized it was Ruby and Rosie! All of the boys had gone to see a movie so I was home alone and I knew I couldn't drive out into the field to get them because that would ruin the alfalfa. So I hurried and saddled up my trusty 29 year old steed and went on a round up! It was lighting and thundering and the wind was blowing really hard, but old Bear just put her head down and went to work. She knew exactly what she was supposed to do. If the cows went one way, she went the other and guided them along the fence line. I was basically just sitting back enjoying the ride on auto piolet because she was doing her job so well. When we almost reached the round pen, it started to rain and then hail, we made it back just in time! I was so proud of my old girl! She was absolutely amazing! Before I went to bed I took her out an apple to say thanks for her hard work.

My horses love apples! In fact Lakota once foundered because she ate too many apples when I kept her in an apple orchard in Salt Lake. I love them too. We planted several apple trees and I can't wait until they are loaded with fresh juicy apples so I eat a warm apple crisp with vanilla icecream on top.

Easy Apple Crisp

Slice 4 medium apples and place them in the bottom of a microwave safe casserole dish. Sprinkle 2/3C. oats over the top and sprinkle with 2/3C. brown sugar, 1/2C. Bisquick, 3/4t. cinnamon, 3/4t. nutmeg and 3T. butter chopped into small squares.

Microwave for 7 to 10 minutes and serve with vanilla icecream.

No comments:

Post a Comment