Sunday, May 9, 2010

Queen For A Day!


On Thursday I went to Salt Lake and I got to stay with my mom. She was a trooper and helped me run around to deliver flowers and chocolates that my son sold as a fundraiser to earn enough money to go to Kenya to do his Eagle Scout project.

I love to be with my mom, she always tells me how proud she is of me and encourages me to keep trying to fulfill my dreams. My mom loves to do all kinds of different things, but cooking isn't one of them. Because she never liked to cook, she never taught me,(thank goodness my husband could cook and taught me how!) I don't what inspired her this last week, because she started taking a cooking class with one of her friends. She gave me a few new recipes that I can't wait to try!

This one is for a Spanish Tortilla.

Heat 1/4c. extra-virgin olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 1/4 pounds of red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced and 1 medium onion thinly sliced. Season with salt and pepper, reduced the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally adjusting the heat if necessary so the vegetables don't brown, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, (15 -20 minutes.)

Beat 8 large eggs, add 1/4c. cream, cheese, ham or bacon and some salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and onions then pour into the skillet, spreading the potatoes evenly in the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, just to set the bottom of the egg mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. Carefully flip the tortilla over and cook for 5 more minutes until set. Flip onto a clean plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes.

Thanks Mom!

I love Mother's Day because I get treated like a queen! (My family really does treat me like a queen other days, but today I didn't have to do dishes etc. so it is extra special!) I slept in, woke up to my favorite breakfast on the porch (a chocolate donut) and roses. After church we went for a horse ride and then the boys made me steak for dinner. It was a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment