Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Amigo


We have the nicest man working for us. His name is Sabino and he is a sixty year old man from Peru. He worked as a sheep herder before he came to work for us so he loves being around all of my animals. When I took him for a horse ride, he couldn't quit smiling.

He doesn't speak much English and we don't speak much Spanish so sometimes our conversations are hilarious! We found out he came to the U.S. to work so he could earn money to send his children to college so they could have a better life. He has three boys and one girl and one granddaughter. He has been away from his family for twelve years. I can't even imagine how hard that would be! Sabino's wife has been sick lately and he has been a little teary. He says he is going to go home in October. I hope his wife is okay until he can make it home.

I wish I could communicate with him better so I could find out what I could do to help his family and the people in his home town.

Every time Sabino sees my youngest son, he hugs him and just beams. My husband thinks it is because Ken reminds him of someone from home.

I found this recipe I want to make for him to hopefully cheer him up. It is for a Peruvian salad called: Ensalada de Choclo

Whisk the juice from one lime into 3T. vegetable oil or olive oil then add some salt and pepper. Add 3c. cooked corn, 1 red pepper, finely chopped, 1 red onion, finely chopped, 2T. minced cilantro and 8 ounces of queso fresco (farmers cheese or any other fresh, unaged white cheese.)

Serve chilled

No comments:

Post a Comment