Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tea Party In An Old Grain Silo?


This morning when we went out to move the animals around, Ruby (the cow) was mooing her head off because she was stuck between the gate and the fence trying to get a drink. Who knows how long she had been there but it must have been pretty traumatic for her because she is still having a cow (he, he, he) even though Dar got her out and she has had her fill of oats. Poor thing - next maybe she will go around the gate to get a drink.

It has been a great week so far. On Monday, I found out one of my friends doesn't have breast cancer. Yeah Becky! Also, my good friend Dave Bain, who I have known since Jr. High said he would buy my little convertible Mercedes so I could take Brayden to Africa. He even said I could buy it back if I wanted to when I had enough money. Thanks for helping the cause Dave!

Yesterday was an amazing day. We went and did baptisms for the dead at the Vernal temple with the young men and young women of in our ward. The best part about it was it was my youngest just turned 12 so this was the first time he could go and participate. I was so happy because my whole family was inside the temple for the first time. WOW! Is all I can say - it was an amazing experience.

About a month ago, my cute neighbor Carrie, asked if she could have one of our old grain silo's to decorate her yard and to make a fun playhouse for her kids. We have three and only one is filled with oats for the cows and horses so we told her she could take one. Her husband hired a crane and that was her mother's day present. She was thrilled! It was quite the feat for the poor crane operator to maneuver between my tree's, the fence and the barn to even get the silo out to the road. I'm sure he was sweating bullets!

I can't wait to go to the new playhouse and have a tea party with Lexi Lou!

A few years ago, I took a couple of my friends to a tea house in Salt Lake for their birthdays. Since I don't drink tea, I had lemonade. We ate cucumber sandwiches, scones and petit fours. It brought back memories of my trips to England.

To make the English Cucumber Sandwiches:

Peel a medium cucumber and slice it thinly.
In a bowl, combine 1/4c. mayonnaise, 8 oz. package of cream cheese, 1/4t. of garlic powder and 1/4t. onion salt.
Cut off the crusts of two slices of fresh white bread and spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture across it and add a few cucumbers. Then slice the sandwich into two pieces on the diagonal.

The best part about these little sandwiches is they are so easy to make! I haven't found an easy scone recipe I like yet, and the last time I tried to make petit fours, the frosting kicked my butt! Maybe one day I will learn how to follow the directions on recipes so they turn out - until then I am going to stick with the beginners recipes that are easy to make!

2 comments:

  1. I love the silo. It's my dream come true. Thanks for parting with it!!! All I can say is the crane guy definitely has mad skills. I can't believe he got that thing out of there!!! It was an hour full of inches......He had to put it down and adjust it at about Meradee's house--to avoid power lines. It was pretty funny to see a silo sitting on 3000 N. He let me keep that piece of metal he rigged it with. So if you ever need to move a silo--give me a call. I owe you. You're the best. I will let you know when the tea is on--I need to get some creative juices flowing and figure out the windows next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable is all I can say! Leave it to the Caldwell's to figure out how to move a gigantic silo down the road! I can't wait to see the finished product - I'm sure it will be amazing!Everytime I look out my office window and see my old silo sitting in your garden it makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete