Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Spring! Spring? Spring?!!!


Yesterday, for the first time this season, out of every window I looked out, the irrigation sprinklers are running in the fields. That gives me hope that spring might finally be around the corner. Yesterday when I was out cleaning the horse pens with my tractor, it was hailing on me. This weekend the forecast is for 70 to 80 degree's. I wish mother nature would make up her mind and decide if it is really spring time or not!

I love to hear the sprinklers clicking. At night sometimes we leave our screen door open on our balcony just so they can lull us to sleep.

I am going to plant some more pasture grass seed today. There is nothing prettier than a lush, green pasture with a couple of horses grazing in it. The best part is I have automatic lawnmowers AND they fertilize it at the same time!

My poor husband has one of those wonderful spring time colds. My mom always told me that chicken noodle soup is the best remedy for a cold, so I think I will make him some for dinner.

Boil 3 large chicken breasts in a large pan with 8c. water. Save the broth after you remove the chicken and dice it.
In another large pot of lightly salted water, boil 2 1/2c. egg noodles and 1t. oil for 8 minutes. Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water.

In the pan with the chicken broth, combine the diced chicken and 6 chicken bouillon cubes and bring to a boil. Stir in 1c. chopped celery, 1c. baby carrots and 1c. chopped onion. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine 1/3c. cornstarch with 1/4c. water. Mix until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Gradually add this to the soup - stirring constantly. Stir in the noodles and heat thoroughly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment