Monday, March 1, 2010

All Accounted For


Yesterday my golden retriever puppy brought me some presents .... chicken feet and then the wings. This morning she brought in a chicken head. Nervously I called my next door neighbor and asked her how many of her chickens were missing. She called me back after counting and said they were all accounted for. WHEW! Now the big question is where is Zoe getting these pats and pieces from? Around here, if your dog is caught killing chickens, they can be shot because once they have a taste for the birds, they won't leave them alone!

This weekend I spent a lot of time moving the snow banks that were piled all over our property so as the snow melted, the water would run into the pasture instead of down my drive way to make a mud puddle. In two of the piles I found dead chickens. In November, something was killing everything around here....including my favorite cat! The night after the murder, one of my sons saw a coyote so we hoped that was the culprit. But we had also heard rumors of a mountain lion sighting.... hopefully it was the first creature and not the second who was doing the dirty deeds! Anyway, I wonder if whatever the killer animal was, took it's favorite parts of the chicken and left the rest for my puppy. Either way I'm not happy about the gifts!
Speaking of Chicken, here is a great recipe for Crescent Chicken Squares:
In a bowl, combine 1 - 3oz. pkg. of cream cheese, softened with 2T. melted butter until smooth. Add 2C. cubed cooked, chicken, 1/4t. salt, 1/8t. pepper, 2T. milk and 1T. chopped onion.
Separate two 8oz. cans of pop-n-fresh crescent dinner rolls into 8 rectangles. Fill with the cream cheese mixture and seal the edges of the dough.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with crushed saltine crackers.
Bake 350* for 20-25 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment