Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Angels Among Us


I am surrounded by angels. Yesterday, I found my friend Ashley on my door step holding my three favorite things - A large cold, coke, a yellow rose in a cute yellow duckie planter and a couple of cute sugar cookies. Ashley and I are soul sisters when it comes to a love of sugar cookies and an addiction to Coke - (Except she drinks the unleaded kind. My theory is if you are going to go - go BIG and take the calories!)

Anyway - it cheered me up so much and I am so grateful for my wonderful friend. Tomorrow is her birthday so I made her some sugar cookies this morning. I got this recipe from another friend - Meridee Alexander, who got it from another friend - Holly Jones. But I give Meridee the credit because she made them for me and gave me the recipe. I am so thankful for all of these wonderful friends who are angels and take care of me as well as who share their yummy recipes!

Divine Sugar Cookies
Cream together 1 2/3C. sugar, 1C. butter flavored shortening and 2 eggs. Add 2t. baking powder, 1 1/4t. baking soda, 1t. vanilla, 1t. almond extract and 1t. salt. Slowly add 2C. flour and than add 1C. sour cream. Add 3 more cups of flour.

Refrigerate for 1 hour then roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut out with fun shaped cookies cutters.

Bake at 350* on an ungreased cookie sheet for 7 minutes. Let them sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes after taking them out of the oven. Then frost after they cool.

I got this wonderful frosting recipe from another good friend. Stephanie Merrell. We had a mother daughter Mad Hatter Tea Party for one of our young women's activities. We each brought a plate of cup cakes and had some extras to take home. My family ate all of her cupcakes first and left mine. My husband asked, "Who ate all the good cupcakes?" OUCH!
Stephanies Mad Hatter Frosting

Combine the following ingredients until the frosting reaches the desired consistency:
1 cube of butter, softened. Some canned milk or whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.
Add some powdered cocoa if you want chocolate frosting.
Use food coloring paste to color and then frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment