Monday, March 15, 2010

Til The Cows Come Home


This morning I woke up to a rooster call - in the next room. My husband got a new phone and thought it would be great to wake up by setting the alarm on it which sounds like a rooster call. Not a great idea - especially because I had been up all night with my youngest who had worked himself up into a frenzy about taking a science test today to the point where he threw up last night and then couldn't sleep. Poor little guy!


We picked out two cows on Saturday but they didn't come home with us yet. The brand inspector has to come and get us a bill of sale so sometime this week they will come home. I decided on the names, Ruby and Rosie, but yesterday when I came home from a meeting, there was a list of names the boys had come up with. Evidently they didn't like my choices. On the list were cow brains, rib-eye, stew, big hunk, cow pie, pear (why?), and my youngest wanted to use the name Patrick - (he is a big Sponge Bob fan, his cat was named, Patrick Jet Ed.) I tried to compromise and suggested Ruby-eye or Rosie Stew - and then I can still call them what I want. Once the cows get here, I'm sure no one will have any interest in them so I will be able to just name them what I want.

I have a great marinade recipe that would be great for the meat. I got this recipe from a friend in my last neighborhood. We used to have family Sunday's and a bunch of us would get together and the host would cook the meat and everyone else would bring everything else. It was so fun to get together and just sit and talk like they used to do in the olden days. It seems like everyone is to busy now to just sit and talk- except about silly cow names!


Heidi's Marinade

Combine 3/4C. salad oil, 2T. vinegar, 1/4C. soy sauce, 3T. honey, 2 green onions chopped, 1t. garlic powder and 1t. ginger then add chicken or beef and let marinate over night. Tastes great when you grill it!







No comments:

Post a Comment