Thursday, March 11, 2010

Oh Baby!


Yesterday, my friend Lisa called and said she was at the hospital with her daughter Jessie who was having contractions. I ran down to the hospital to take her a treat and as I watched the nurses putting the IV in and watching the monitor with the babies progress, it brought back all the memories of when I had my three boys. I had a hard time delivering each one of them I was so grateful it was her laying there about to deliver and not me. She wasn't dilating so they ended up doing an emergency c - section and Jaycee arrived about nine o'clock last night. I'm excited to go see her this morning!

We have been friends with the Labrums for about sixteen years. It started out with our husbands going snowmobiling together and they are practically family now. It was amazing to think as I watched Jessie lay there about to deliver last night that I knew her when she was so young.

One of the things we like to do with the Labrums is celebrate birthday dinners together. Since Lisa is the better cook, she usually brings the cake. One of my favorites that she makes is her Red Velvet Cake. I can't make it as good as she can, but it is yummy!


Red Velvet Cake

Combine 1 chocolate cake mix with 1C. sour cream, 1/2C. water, 1/4C. oil, 1 (1 ounce) bottle of red food coloring and 3 eggs. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into two 9 inch round pans that have been greased and floured. Bake 25-35 minutes at 350*. Cool for 15 minutes then remove from the pans.

Frosting:

Combine 1 1/2C. milk with 1/2C. flour in a sauce pan, cook until thick - cover with plastic wrap and cool. Beat 1 1/2C. butter and 1 1/2 C. sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour mix 2 T. at a time, beating well in between. Beat on high until smooth then add 1T. vanilla. Then frost the cooled cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment