Saturday, March 20, 2010

Watch Out For California Drivers


I just got back from my trip to California with my sister and my niece. It was so fun to sleep in until 10 the first morning and to laugh until I cried. WOW! I really needed this vacation, the last few weeks have been brutal dealing with all kinds of problems at home.


What is going to California without a star sighting? David Archuletta, the American Idol star that attended Murray High school was sitting a few rows behind me. He probably could have gone unnoticed on the flight except he was surrounded by a whole group of high school cheerleaders who were going to a cheer competition in Anaheim. The poor guy didn't have a chance to remain unseen because he was completely surrounded!

For us, the adventure really started out with Alamo giving me the Toyota PRIUS - you know the car that has been causing all the ruckas. When I pulled up to the curb at the airport to pick up my sister - her mouth dropped open as she said, "Do you realize what kind of car you just rented?" Ya, whatever - Alamo wouldn't send us off in a defective car, would they? The whole trip we were a little nervous! It was one of those fancy cars with the keyless start - just try and figure that out! I'm sure the rental guy got a good laugh watching me try to figure it out. I finally just started pushing buttons until the car made a noise and then I had to figure out how to put it into drive.

The first day, I almost rear ended someone on the freeway when the traffic came to a screeching halt for no reason. My niece yelled at me from the back seat and then I started laughing hysterically. Then I couldn't stop laughing because my sister and her daughter continued on with their conversation like nothing had happened - I had tears rolling down my cheeks - it really wasn't very funny, but it was a great stress reliever! That night I almost went through a red light and it happened all over again. Once again, they didn't see what was so funny - but it really was hilarious! It was also funny to see my nieces reaction as I yelled at all of the inconsiderate California drivers - I have never seen so many stupid drivers!

We stayed at the Wyndham hotel near the Costa Mesa Mall. Our hotel room had a new feature that requires you to have your room key in a special slot inside the room or the lights wouldn't turn on. The light switch in the bathroom had been mutilated from someone trying to force the light on - obviously they didn't have their key in the right slot!

My niece was hungry when we first got there so I took her to the vending machine we had passed on the way to our room. It was the fanciest vending machine I have ever seen, it only took your credit card which you could use to buy a camera, headphones, car phone charger or a package of Reece's Pieces for $4.99 and a bottle of water for $3.99. Wanting to be the favorite aunt that I am, I gave and spent $9.00 for junk food!
We shopped until we literally dropped. It was amazing! Costa Mesa is a little intimidating when everyone around you looks like barbie with the perfect waist, hair, make up, nails, tanned skin, and they all drive expensive European sports cars. My sister said, "I always come home from this trip feeling fat. I don't know how with all the walking we do!"


As much fun as we had, it was so nice arrive in Salt Lake and be surrounded by "normal" people who weren't all wearing expensive clothes, high heels and a size 2. It was also a relief to get into my car and use my key to turn it on, not having to worry that it was going to accelerate without any notice. I really appreciated being home when I was able to travel 75 miles an hour the whole way out to Vernal instead of going 9 miles an hour or having to come to a complete stop on the California highway.

I knew I was almost near my home on the range when I saw a herd of "antelope playing" on the side of the road. As much as I don't like some things about living in a small town, I actually like the Mayberriness of it all.

Last night we went to the Cheesecake Factory, which is one of our favorite places to eat! (No I didn't take any silverware - but that's another story!) My sister always orders the Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes from the appetizer's. She says they are divine! I found this recipe on the internet for them. Try it - they are yummy!

Cheesecake Factory Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes

Make the salsa verde, southwestern sauce and tomato salsa before hand and chill.

Salsa Verde-
Combine the following in a food processor on high:
2 tomatillo's, chopped (remove the papery skin)
1 - 4oz. can mild green chilies
1 green onion chopped
1 1/4t. sugar
1/4 t. cumin
1/4t. salt and a pinch of pepper
Cover and chill

Southwestern Sauce:
Combine the following:
1/2C. mayo
1t. white vinegar
1t. water
3/4t. sugar
1/2t. chili powder
1/4t. paprika
a pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of onion powder
dash of salt
dash of garlic powder
Cover and chill

Tomato Salsa:
Combine:
1 medium tomato
1T. minced onion
1T. cilantro, minced
1/4t. lime juice
1/2 small fresh jalapeno, minced
dash of salt and pepper

Corn Tamale Cakes
Chop 1 C. frozen sweet corn in a food processor until pureed. Combine this with 1 cube of butter, softened,3T. sugar and a pinch of salt in a bowl then blend well with an electric mixer until smooth. Add 1/2C. corn flour and 2T. flour until blended well. Mix 1/2C. frozen sweet corn by hand.

Measure 1/2C. portions out and form into 3" wide patties. Bake on a cookie sheet for 25 min. at 400*. Flip and bake an additional 5-7 min.

While baking these, spoon a portion of the salsa verde on a plate - about 1/4 in. deep. When the corn cakes are done, arrange them by side on top of the salsa verde. Spoon sour cream on top then drizzle with southwestern sauce over the top and then spoon some of the tomato salsa over the top of that. Serve with chopped avacados, and chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. These sound great---maybe not the easiest. OOH but I love them from the Cheesecake Factory. By the way--I can't really imagine you driving a Prius.

    ReplyDelete