Friday, March 12, 2010

Holy Cow!

I love driving around this time of year and seeing the new baby cows laying next to their mommies. There is one pasture in particular that I like to drive past just to see how many new babies they have had that day. Next the baby sheep will appear and then the colts. It is such a fun time of the year!

We have been talking about getting a few cows for a while but I think tomorrow we are actually going to do it. It will be nice because the cows eat the stuff in the pasture that the horses won't eat and vice versa. Plus I can feed them high quality grain and have my own angus beef next year. My husband says I can't name them because I will become too attached when it comes time to slaughter them - but I can't wait to meet, Bella, Rosie and Ruby - (assuming they are females.) Even if they aren't, I love these names and the only animals I could ever get away with giving these names to are cows!


Speaking of hamburger, this recipe is one of my families favorites. It's a recipe from my husbands side of the family. Next year when I make it, I will have to call it, "Rosie Soup!"


Hamburger Soup

In a large pot, brown 1 pound of hamburger and add some season salt to flavor

Add: 1 small onion, chopped

1 clove of garlic minced

8 cups of water

1 can of beef boullion or 3 boullion cubes

2C. carrots (I like to use the baby carrots)

4 potatoes washed and diced

Let simmer over medium heat for several hours


No comments:

Post a Comment