Sunday, March 21, 2010

Stop Filling Me With Crap!


My son asked me why I like to blog today. The answer was easy, it is a fun way to connect with my family and friends so they know what is going on in my life. Plus, I can share the things I learn so they don't have to make the same mistakes. Like not filling your kids with crap.


A few years ago I started researching about food allergies to see if I could help my youngest son with his developmental delay problems. He was stick thin and he had a little Ethiopian pot belly. After I did lots of reading, I found out he was probably malnourished because he was eating something he was allergic to and his body wasn't absorbing the nutrients. As I read, I also realized that my second son was also suffering from some symptoms of food allergies. He couldn't sleep, we could hardly take him to Lake Powell because after a day or two of being in the water, he developed horrible rashes and eczema. He was normally was a sweet, lovable boy, but other times he would get mad at everything and was hard to deal with. The biggest sign though was he had big dark circles under his eyes and he just didn't look well. So I had them tested and found out they were both allergic to corn, soy and milk. This meant I had to tell my youngest he could no longer eat corn dogs, Frito's, gummy fruit snacks and he couldn't drink chocolate milk. These were pretty much the only things he would eat and I had to explain that they were "mean" foods and made his body mad.

The first time I went to the grocery store after I found out what they were allergic to, I was so overwhelmed because as I read the labels, everything I normally fed these boys were filled with "mean" foods. Corn starch, corn syrup, are in candy, juices and even powdered sugar. I ended up buying a coffee grinder and making my own powder sugar so I could make frosting. Manufacturers use soy as a filler in everything or they sneak it in under a different name. I pretty much had to start cooking from scratch, which I hated to do because I never had cooked before. If it wasn't fast, pre-packaged or instant, I didn't make it. After a lot of adjustments, my boys can now tolerate a little bit of some things they are allergic to and I have started collecting recipes that are easy to make.

My niece sent me a link to the blog of a lady who calls herself, the Pioneer Woman. She lives on a ranch and makes gourmet meals for her ranch hands. I am not a Rachel Ray or Pioneer Woman. If something requires a lot of time, I won't even attempt it.


This recipe is from my friend, Carrie Caldwell - as I have bragged before, she really is an amazing cook and I adore her!


Shredded Pork Taco's with Dirty Sauce

Cook a pork loin in a crock pot or on low in the oven all day with a little bit of water in the bottom of the ban. Drain off the juice and save it in a small sauce pan. Shred the meat with a fork and serve in a warm, tortilla shell - (the kind you have to cook yourself because they don't contain any soy) with dirty sauce over the top.


Dirty Sauce

Combine the pork juice and some bar-b-cue sauce in a small sauce pan and heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment