Friday, March 26, 2010

Miss Renegade, The Wonder Horse!



When I first moved to Vernal, I kept my horses at a horse breeders barn named Debbie Perrigo. She was one of our employee's mother-in-law. Every time I would go to visit Lakota and Cheyenne, I would watch the baby horses that had just been born that spring playing together. There was one horse in particular that I always loved to watch. She was a little brown and white paint with a cute little white tail that had a dash of black at the end. Over the next few months, I kept watching her and telling my husband what she would do each time I saw her.
To my surprise, for my birthday three years ago, Debbie pulled up with her horse trailer and unloaded Miss Renegade as a present from my sweet husband. She was nine months old and would hardly let me get near her. It was a knock down drag out fight to get a halter on her, but once I did, I worked with her almost every day and we bonded!

She does the funniest things! One morning my husband and I walked into the barn to feed and noticed a puddle of water in the middle of the arena. We had just been dealing with broken water lines outside and we figured the same thing had happened inside. But as I got closer, I noticed the water was coming from inside Renny's stall. We had installed a spicket and put an old short washing machine hose in between her stall and the next one so we could fill up the horses water buckets. Somehow she had turned it on and the hose had been flipping around from the water pressure and filled her stall. Renny was sopping wet as well as all of the walls and there was a foot of water inside her stall that had started to drain out into the arena.

Another day, one of our workers was fixing a water leak outside in one of the pens. He was down inside a hole and Renny came over and grabbed his shovel in her mouth and ran off with it trying to get him to chase her.
I love this horse! She always makes me smile - except the time she bucked me off. She was first trained in Lehi by a great trainer named Noel Skinner. He is very well known and helped get a good foundation on her. I have been taking her to a trainer in Vernal named Richie Anderson. He has done amazing work with her! I can get her to walk sideways, spin and she loves to chase his buffalo!

After we go to riding lessons, I love to come home and make potato wedges.

Potato Wedges
Scrub 3 potatoes and slice them into wedges. Place on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle generously with season salt or Cajun spice and Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 30-35 minutes at 450* stirring every 10 minutes.
Add a nice juicy steak and a green salad and it makes a perfect meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment